The 2nd Floor
2nd Floor Rules and Regulations
THE 2ND FLOOR RULES AND REGULATIONS
These rules and regulations are an addendum to your lease. The following rules and regulations are intended to benefit all residents by establishing smooth, efficient, and thoughtful use of the premises. Failure to comply with these rules and regulations could result in the following actions:
1st offense: written warning issued to Tenant(s) stating the violation.
2nd offense: $250.00 fine assessed against Tenant(s).
3rd offense: $500.00 fine assessed against Tenant(s).
4th offense: eviction.
Tenants are not guaranteed written or verbal warnings for violations. The above list of actions and fine amounts may be changed at Management discretion depending on the nature and severity of the violation. Depending on the nature of the violation, fines may be assessed in full or in part to individual Tenants or to all Tenants of an apartment.
1. Emergencies. There is staff available in the University Towers lobby area (South Forest entrance) and on-call to assist with any emergency or problem occurring during or after business hours. Call the University Towers office (734-761-2680), go to the front desk, or call the Ann Arbor Police Department (911). Please remain as calm as possible in an emergency. If the lobby attendant on duty is away from the front desk, call the office number (734-761-2680) and follow the instructions to contact the lobby attendant.
2. Fire Equipment. Fire equipment, including alarms, fire extinguishers, and smoke detectors, is for use in an actual emergency only. Tampering with fire equipment is a criminal offense, and those guilty will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
3. Fire Emergencies. If you detect smoke or fire, IMMEDIATELY sound the fire alarm at either stairwell. There are NO test or trial alarms. If an alarm sounds, evacuate the building immediately using the stairs (elevators will be out of service). You must evacuate the building completely – do not congregate in the lobby.
4. Lobby. The 2nd Floor provides a telephone lobby system to communicate with visitors. Residents are responsible for protecting themselves and their possessions within rented premises by keeping apartment doors locked, using the deadbolt locks, and by permitting entrance through the lobby doors only to expected visitors and/or people they know.
5. Pets. Animals (other than registered service animals) of any kind are not allowed on the premises at any time. This includes but is not limited to birds, rodents such as hamsters, reptiles, fish, ferrets, rabbits, cats, and dogs. Note that your guests or visitors may not have animals on the premises as well. If a pet is found in your apartment, you will be charged $100.00 per day until the pet is removed. Failure to comply will lead to eviction.
6. Smoking. The 2nd Floor is a smoke free environment. SMOKING IS PROHIBITED WITHIN YOUR APARTMENT AND ALL COMMON AREAS OF THE 2ND FLOOR (including but not limited to the lounge areas, laundry room, hallways, stairwells, the first floor lobby, and underneath the canopy over the front door and all common areas in the University Towers lobby level and blue canopy outside the building). ALL SMOKING EQUIPMENT SUCH AS HOOKAHS OR BONGS IS PROHIBITED. THE SMOKING POLICY IS STRICTLY ENFORCED in accordance with the requirements of the Washtenaw County Clean Indoor Air Regulation. Violation of the smoking policy will result in the following actions:
1st offense: $250.00 fine assessed to Tenant.
2nd offense: $500.00 fine assessed to Tenant.
3rd offense: eviction
Please note that the no smoking policy applies to Tenant guests or invitees too.
7. Obstructions. Residents will not obstruct entrances, public areas, stairs, exits, elevators or hallways.
8. Maintenance Requests. Please make all non-emergency maintenance requests in person at the University Towers front desk or on our website (www.universitytowers-mi.com). The staff member there will give you a request form and The 2nd Floor will make every reasonable effort to complete the work by the end of the next business day. For emergency maintenance requests (fire, toilet overflow, broken pipe, water leaks), telephone 734-761-2680 or go to the University Towers first floor front desk immediately.
9. Rent. Rent is due in full on the first day of each month unless otherwise specified in the lease. The 2nd Floor accepts personal checks, traveler’s checks, or money orders payable to University Towers for rental payments. The 2nd Floor does not accept cash, credit or debit cards in person at the University Towers front desk. There is now an E-check or credit card option for payment. Check out our website to sign up. Traditional paper checks and money orders should be payable to University Towers and may be put into the rental drop box next to the University Towers first floor front desk window. Per the lease agreement, there is a $20.00 late fee for rent paid after the 3rd day of each month and an additional $30.00 fee for rent paid after the 10th day of each month. Receipts are available by request at the University Towers front desk. If you use the rent drop box and would like a receipt, come to the Management Office from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday and you will be given a rental receipt. Rent put into the drop box after the 3rd of each month is considered late. There is a $25.00 fee plus any applicable late fees for checks dishonored and returned by the bank as well as rejected electronic payments.
10. Renewals. Residents who have not been in default under their lease will be notified of an opportunity to renew their lease and will be given priority in lease signing. To preserve that priority, however, residents must strictly comply with the directions of the renewal notice.
11. Reservation Day. After the renewal period described in the renewal notice, apartments that have not been renewed will be on the market and available for new residents to lease. In the late fall of each year one day will be designated as Reservation Day. On Reservation Day, all apartments that have not been renewed must be available for showing to prospective residents during the business day. Residents will be given advance notice of the date and times of Reservation Day.
12. Building Operating Systems. Except for controls within their apartment, residents will never interfere with or attempt to operate or tamper with any of the building’s equipment or operating systems including heating, lighting, air conditioning, plumbing, electrical, cable, laundry, security, or elevators. There is a locked mechanical room located in each apartment. Residents are prohibited from entering the mechanical room in the apartment for any reason.
13. Solicitation. Solicitation without prior written permission from The 2nd Floor Management is prohibited in the building. Solicitation includes all door to door sales, flyers delivered to individual apartments, or flyers posted in the building. If you are approached by a solicitor, please contact the Management Office immediately.
14. Alcohol. Alcohol may only be brought into the building in individual consumption containers. For example, kegs and “beer balls” are prohibited. All alcoholic beverages are prohibited in The 2nd Floor common areas as well as the University Towers first floor common areas.
15. Guests/Gatherings. Guests must be accompanied by residents when in the common areas of the building. Residents are solely responsible for the conduct of their guests and are responsible for all damages or other problems caused by their guests. You must obtain written permission from all apartment residents to have frequent or overnight guests using the common areas of the apartment or to have a gathering.
16. Noise. Please remember that The 2nd Floor is an apartment community. Noise may not exceed reasonable levels at any time. Disturbing other residents or roommates unreasonably is grounds for eviction. If noise from another apartment is disturbing you unreasonably, please call or go to the front desk identifying the source of the noise if possible. Immediate action will be taken to investigate and resolve the complaint.
17. Laundry. The 2nd Floor laundry room is open 24 hours a day. Machines are coin operated by United States quarters only. The laundry facilities are for the use of The 2nd Floor residents only. Please be considerate and remove laundry promptly when your washing and drying cycles are complete. Laundry left in the machines or in the laundry room for an extended time will be bagged and removed.
18. Exercise Room. The exercise area is located in the recreation room on the first floor (lobby level) of University Towers.. The treadmill keys, weight pins, free weights and other equipment may be checked out from the front desk by leaving photo identification. The pool is open during the summer season. Times of operation will be posted by the entrance when the pool is open.
19. Study Lounge. The study lounge (located on the lobby level of University Towers) is open 24 hours a day. Conversation and other conduct that interferes unreasonably with individuals studying there is prohibited.
20. Television Lounge. The television lounge (located on the lobby level of University Towers) is open 24 hours a day. Programming is strictly within the discretion of those residents using the lounge. The remote control may be checked out at the front desk by leaving photo identification.
21. Bicycles. The City of Ann Arbor provides bicycle storage outside the building which you may use at your own risk. Bicycles may also be stored in resident apartments, however, all bicycle related damage including but not limited to rubber marks on floors, tire tracks on carpets, and chips and dents in the walls will be charged to the resident. Bicycles may not be stored in any common areas of the building such as stairwells and hallways. Bicycles may also not be stored in the common areas of the apartment. The 2nd Floor will not be responsible for theft or damage to residents’ personal property. Please do not ride bicycles in the lobby or hallways of the building. Do not leave your bicycle in the storage area outside the building unattended for long periods of time as the City of Ann Arbor will tag and remove bicycles they believe are abandoned.
22. Parking. The 2nd Floor offers a limited number of parking spaces at the Forest Street Structure for a monthly fee. The city of Ann Arbor or University of Michigan Off-Campus Housing may be of assistance in locating additional parking. The parking spaces in front of the brown gates in front of the Forest Street side of the building are a short term loading/unloading zone. Cars left in this area for longer than 30 minutes are subject to being towed.
23. Keys. The 2nd Floor provides 1 apartment key, 1 bedroom key, 1 mailbox key, and 1 University Towers front door entry key card to each residing leaseholder. The key is for the leaseholder’s use only and duplicates may not be made by the resident. Residents may check out an extra key during normal business hours (Monday through Friday 9:00 am to 4:30 pm) for 24 hours or less by leaving photo identification at the University Towers front desk.
24. Lost Keys. The replacement charge for keys is $75.00 per apartment key, $50.00 per front door entry key card, $50.00 per bedroom key, and $ 25.00 per mailbox key. You will be charged an additional $100.00 if you wish to have your apartment door locks changed.
25. Lockouts. Should you need assistance into your apartment during office hours (Monday through Friday 9:00 am to 4:30 pm), there will be no charge. When the office is closed, there will be a $5.00 charge per incident. Do not pay the lockout fee at the time of the lockout – you will be billed. If your bedroom door is not mastered, there will be a $100.00 charge if on-call maintenance has to open your door.
26. Rollerblades and Skateboards. Rollerblades and skateboards are not permitted to be used in the common areas of the building. Please remove these items in the outer foyer before entering the elevator or stairwell in the lobby.
27. Waterbeds. Waterbeds are prohibited at The 2nd Floor.
28. Lethal Weapons. Tenants, their guests or invitees, shall not possess, use, or store lethal weapons anywhere in the University Towers building or The 2nd Floor at any time. “Lethal weapon” is defined as any deadly weapon which from the manner used, is calculated or likely to produce death or serious bodily injury. This includes, but is not limited to: any and all firearms, explosive devices, hunting knives, switchblades, bows and arrow, machetes, or other knives. Any use or threatened use of a lethal weapon by any tenant, his or her guest or invitee, on University Towers or The 2nd Floor property, or any adjacent property, will result in termination of tenancy and eviction.
29. Resident Damage. The 2nd Floor is responsible for repair and maintenance of apartment damages caused by normal wear and tear. Damages caused by resident (or resident’s guests or invitees) misuse or negligence will be repaired by The 2nd Floor at the resident’s expense, including labor and materials.
A. Picture Hanging. Holes shall not be drilled in, and screws or nails shall not be driven into the walls, floors, tiles, ceilings, woodwork, or partitions. Pictures or other articles may be hung provided that the hole is no larger than a pinhead. Use of tape, glue, or adhesive of any kind is not authorized.
B. Lofts. Lofts are not permitted on The 2nd Floor.
C. Alteration and Decoration. Residents will never varnish, paint, paper or decorate any walls, floors, doors, woodwork, or cabinets without prior written permission of The 2nd Floor. If you have plans to alter the apartment, please contact Management with the details of your project. If Management approves the project, written permission as well as the charge for the alterations will be provided to you.
D. Energy. Residents will act reasonably to conserve water and energy, and will report running toilets, leaky faucets and pipes, and all leaks to The 2nd Floor promptly upon discovery.
E. Premises Systems. Residents will use all operating systems in their apartment, such as drains, garbage disposals, toilets, and electrical outlets, only in the manner reasonably intended. Repairs necessitated by unreasonable use will be charged to the resident.
F. Toilets. Only toilet paper should be used in toilets. Do not flush paper towels, feminine products (such as tampons or sanitary napkins), or other foreign material. Do not use the blue toilet drop-ins in the toilets as they cause clogs and blockages. If any blockage is the result of prohibited material being flushed or used, repairs will be charged to the resident. Please report any water overflows to the Front Desk immediately so water damage to your apartment and surrounding apartments can be limited as much as possible.
G. Garbage Disposals. Garbage disposals are for food and water disposal only. Do not attempt to put anything else (such as bones, paper, plastic, bottle caps, grease, etc.) in the garbage disposal. Any repairs necessitated by improper use will be charged to the resident.
H. Plumbing. Do not use drain cleaning products (such as Draino, Liquid Plumber, etc.) to unclog your drains or toilet. You may borrow a plunger to unclog toilets by leaving your photo identification at the front desk. If you are unable to unclog with the plunger or if a sink or shower is clogged, please put in a Maintenance Service Request and The 2nd Floor Maintenance Team will assess the problem and make any necessary repairs.
I. Trash. Residents will dispose of grease, hard rubbish, such as bottles, cans, and large cartons in the trash receptacles in the closet located on your floor. Recyclables can be placed in the bins located in the trash room. Trash must not be set in the hallways or on the floor in the trash closet in paper bags.
J. Window Coverings. Blinds are provided by The 2nd Floor and may not be removed. If additional window coverings are installed over the ones provided, Tenant must have written permission from The 2nd Floor and will be responsible for any damages or repairs needed when additional window coverings are removed.
K. Displays. No sign, flag, pennant, poster, placard, advertisement, notice, picture, ornament, sticker, handbill, visible or auditory display of any kind not complimentary to the appearance of the building as determined by The 2nd Floor shall be displayed in a window, door, any public area, on the outside of the building, or visible from the outside of the building without prior written approval of The 2nd Floor.
L. Lighting. Residents are responsible for replacing light bulbs for all table and floor lamps and open bathroom fixtures. The 2nd Floor will replace bulbs in all ceiling lighting.
M. Holiday Decorations. Live Christmas trees, garlands, and wreaths are not permitted at The 2nd Floor.
N. Cleaning. Residents are responsible for keeping the apartment in a clean condition after moving in. Cleaning supplies such as vacuums, brooms, and mops are available for check out at the University Towers Front Desk. Residents must provide their own cleaning products.
O. Mold. Residents are responsible to eliminate or limit the growth of mold in the apartment by mopping and drying any spilled water thoroughly and promptly. Showers and bathtubs should be cleaned regularly with products designed for mold removal (cleaning solutions of water and bleach, mildew remover etc). It is suggested that residents use protective equipment when using
such products (rubber gloves, eye goggles, long sleeve shirts & pants, socks and shoes) to avoid injury when cleaning.
P. Showers. The 2nd Floor does not provide shower curtains and liners. Residents must provide a shower curtain for each shower/tub within the apartment.
30. Furniture. Each leaseholder will receive one bed, one chest, and one desk and chair. If you would like extra furniture, you will need to provide it. The 2nd Floor does not provide furniture (such as beds) for guests. If you bring extra furniture that does not belong to The 2nd Floor, you are responsible for removing the extra furniture at lease end. If furniture is not removed, residents will be charged for dismantling and removing the furniture. Furniture provided by The 2nd Floor is the property of The 2nd Floor and should not be removed from the apartment. The common area furnishings provided at move in will remain in the apartment throughout the term of the lease.
31. Utilities. From time to time technicians from the utility companies (electric, telephone, cable, or internet access) may need to enter your apartment for repairs. The 2nd Floor does not have available staff to accompany technicians to your apartment and remain there while repairs are completed. Residents will need to make arrangements to be present if any repairs must be done within your apartment.
32. Occupancy. Only the person listed on the lease as the leaseholder or subtenant listed on a sublease agreement signed by Management may occupy the premises.
33. Photograph Release. Residents give their permission to The 2nd Floor and University Towers to use any photograph or photographic image including video or video stills taken of them while in any public areas of the building or public events sponsored by The 2nd Floor and University Towers for legitimate business purposes in printed form, video form, or for use on The 2nd Floor and University Towers website.
34. Internet and Cable Equipment. The internet and television equipment (including the television located in the living room) provided in each apartment is the property of The 2nd Floor and Synergy Broadband and should not be removed from the apartment.
35. Pest Control. The 2nd Floor has a very successful pest control and elimination program in place. Residents must promptly report any evidence of infestation to the Landlord. If The 2nd Floor incurs cost for pest control as a result of resident actions (such as failure to promptly report infestation or unsanitary conditions within the apartment), all residents of the apartment will be responsible for all pest control costs associated with resolving the situation.
36. Security Cameras. Common areas of the building may be monitored by surveillance devices. Any person or persons engaging in illegal activity will be subject to prosecution according to Michigan law.
37. Mail/Packages. U.S. Postal Service mail and deliveries from express services will be accepted for leaseholders and management approved subtenants only. All other mail/packages will be refused and returned. The first floor University Towers front desk will hold mail that does not fit in the boxes and delivery service parcels for a limited time. Residents must present photo identification at the front desk to retrieve these items. University Towers does not hold outgoing packages for pickup by the Postal or Delivery Services. All residents are responsible for forwarding their own mail through the U.S. Postal Service. There is an outgoing United States Mail slot located on the wall with your mailbox as well as a United States Postal Outgoing mail box located near the Forest Street University Towers entry.
Revised March 2012